109 Commercial Street
109 Commercial Street is facing Market Cross, to the south it is bordered by Mounthooly Street, to the north by Albert Court.
The area around the building has seen some major changes. The building to the left on the left picture was much altered in 1902, No 111 on the north side of Albert Court have had the corner of the south gable cut off, making the passage broader.
The building is currently, (2010), occupied by Millers Opticians.
For some years around 1892 this was a branch shop of John Black & Sons, bakers, in the early years of the twentieth century it was the Lerwick branch of the North of Scotland Town and County Bank, until about 1910 when it was occupied by J & M Linklater, a drapery business and it continued as a drapery shop under different proprietors for some years.
Arthur Sinclair through the 1920's followed by Arthur Johnson until some time in the 1950's when it became a retail outlet for William Fraser's 'Alexandra Bakery'.
Sometime in the 1970's it was bought by the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society and sold footwear, later becoming their off-sales outlet for beer, wines and spirits. In the latter part of the 1980's it was a video rental shop, 'Dial-a-film'.
In the early 1990's Miller Opticians moved down the Mounthooly Street from Chapel House and are the present occupants 2010.