Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
- Laurence Bruce, sixth Laird of Sumburgh, died.
- James Cheyne, who became the third Laird Cheyne of Tangwick, was born.
- Andrew Bruce (2), the second Laird Bruce of Braewick, drowned on his way to Leith.
- The Wolf, a full rigged ship, registered in The Netherlands, laden with a cargo of tar, cloth and hides, wrecked at Otterswick, East Yell. All of the crew were lost, but part of the cargo was saved.
- Vandela, a Danish frigate and East Indiaman (3rd Danish East India Company), wrecked at Fetlar on 18-19 December, 1737.
A sail brig laden with a cargo of iron and timber deals, resistered in Germany, and thought possibly to have been named Geestemunde, wrecked on the Ship Stack, Nor Wick, Unst.