Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
- John Scott, heir of Melby, dies in a fall from a cliff on Vaila
- The Leith Lerwick Packet service was resumed. New contract went to R. Strong and Son, who started operation with the sloop Margaret of Kincardine.
- 900 Shetlanders were mustered out of the Royal Navy
- Baliasta Old Kirk was built.
- The John and Margaret, a sail sloop, is recorded as having wrecked at an unspecified location on Uyea, Unst in either 1763 or 1765 (the available records are in dispute).
- Seven Years War ends.
- An unidentified vessel, registered in Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland wrecked on either East Linga, to the east of Whalsay, or one of the other nearby holms or skerries.