Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
- Annsbrae House in Annsbrae Place, Lerwick, was built.
- The parish of Lerwick had a population of 1259 people, thereof 903 people living within the town itself and 356 living in the country of the parish surrounding the town.
- The present day Dunrossness Kirk was finished.
- A vessel, recorded only as Captain Reiner, in passage from Norway to Leghorn (Livorno), Italy wrecked at an unidentified location on Shetland. It is not known whether the name Captain Reiner was the name of the vessel or of her master.
- A record exists of three unidentified fishing vessels, belonging to Scousburgh, "at Spiggy's Bank" (probably a mis-spelling of Spiggie Beach), having been "upset" at an unspecified location, with the loss of nine lives.
A vessel, name not recorded or not named, classified as a fishing boat, registered in Walls, three crew. Capsized or foundered in the vicinity of the Easter Sound entrance to Vaila Sound with the loss of all aboard.