Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
- After heavy complaints about the quality of the postal service, Hay & Company of Lerwick took over the business and established a new all year round service between Lerwick and Peterhead with the boat staying no more than two days in harbour.
- Sarah Squire, the first recorded Quaker in Shetland proselytises.
- Thomas Balfour, Tory, was elected as MP for Orkney & Shetland.
- The brigs, Anna Carolina, and Adolph Wilhelm, were wrecked on Fair Isle.
The Mangalore wrecked at an unspecified location on or near Shetland.
- The Aurora, a brig in ballast, of and for Barth, Germany, from Dublin, Ireland came ashore in a waterlogged condition at Sand Wick. All of the crew were saved.
Election of the Lerwick Town Council.