Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
- Leagarth House (Fetlar), owned by Sir William Watson Cheyne was completed.
- The first Lerwick Fish Market was established at Freefield.
- The census showed the population of Shetland to be 29,705, Lerwick 4061.
- In a report to the Congested Districts Board by the Crofters Commission remarks concerning the efficacy of the Crofters Common Grazing Act of 1891 noted: "In Shetland there are extensive commons or scattalds, and there the provisions of the Act have unfortunately proved insufficient. Tenants other than crofters have frequently a right of grazing along with crofters on the scattalds. Over these parties we have no jurisdiction, and hence a difficulty has been experienced in getting such tenants to comply with the provisions of the Act. Thus, in the Parish of Delting, a Grazings Committee sought to restrict the stock placed on the scattald by a non-crofter to the number which, if a crofter, his rent would have entitled him to keep. The case was tried in the Sheriff Court at Lerwick, and it was held that the Act did not apply to a non-crofter and was not binding on him. In such cases, therefore, regulations have been inoperative, but the provisions of the Act are complied with where the grazings are in the exclusive occupancy of statutory crofters."
The Queen Of The Isles (1901), registered in Fair Isle and operating as a packet boat for Fair Isle wrecked in Grutness Voe no later than this date.
The Florence (LK 797), a wooden hulled dandy, wrecked on the west side of Levenwick Bay after driving from anchor.
UK census took place.
The Welcome Home (PD107), a sailing lugger, of Peterhead, Scotland sank in the vicinity of Hay's Dock, Lerwick Harbour, following being holed in a collision with the vessel Hartfell. All of the crew were saved.
Author Laurence J. Nicolson dies.
Sloop Apellative, sank at Baltasound harbour following a collision.