Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
- The first surgeon-consultant, R.H. Rose-Innes was appointed at the Old Gilbert Bain Hospital, with help from the Scottish Board of Health.
- Poet Stella Sutherland was born.
- Author Laurence I. Graham was born.
- Unst poet Jack Renwick was born.
- Author Jessie Nicol born in Sullom.
- The St Magnus (III) was built for the Lerwick route.
- Economics Club disbanded and joins Labour Party.
County war memorial unveiled by Mrs T Hardy from Girlsta, who lost 3 sons in the war.
The Inter-Nos (BCK179), a steam fishing drifter, of Buckie, Scotland wrecked on the Clumlie Baa, Dunrossness.
The Shining (GY1175), a fishing trawler, or Grimsby, England caught fire and sank in Colla Firth, Northmavine.
The German barque Bohus, formerly Bertha wrecked at Otterswick in East Yell. The figurehead, White Lady of Otterswick, now overlooks the wreck site.
Earl of Zetland ran aground on "Robbie Ramsies Baa"
General Election, Robert William Hamilton returned unopposed.