Basic Information :
|Position||Latitude 60° 07.2’ N
Longitude 01° 07.2’ W
|Location||Kirkabister Ness,south Bressay
at the entrance to the Lerwick Harbour
|Description||A white tower, 48 foot high|
|Built by||Thomas & David Stevenson|
|First lit||August 31, 1858|
|Character||Flashing (2)white every 20 seconds|
|Nominal Range||23 miles|
|Other information||Electrified July 17th 1967
Foghorn discontinued 1987
The request to build a lighthouse on Bressay, at the south entrance to the Lerwick Harbour, was made by the Commissioners of the Northern Lighthouses on November 11th, 1854. Permission was given by The Board of Trade on November 14th. The work started in February 1856.
In the beginning it was lit by candles, later it ran on paraffin and in 1967 it was electrified.
When it was automated in 1988, there was no need for the clockwork that was installed in 1940, so that was donated by the Northern Lighthouse Board (NLB) to the Shetland Museum.
It was not installed in the museum until the new museum was built. There it was mounted on a 4m. high pedestal so it was possible for the public to see it from every angle.
The mirrors were mounted on an array floating on 836 kgs of liquid mercury, this was removed and repaced with a roller plate, and the clockwork is now driven by an electric motor, to show how the lighthouse mechanism works.
In November 1995, the outbuildings and the keepers' cottages were purchased by Shetland Amenity Trust.
The two assistant keepers' cottages have been refurbished and are available on short-time lease.
The Principal keeper's cottage will be a self-catering complex and the engine room adjacent will be a camping bod.
The engine and radio rooms are due to be turned into a Heritage Centre.