|OS Name:||Brother Isle|
|Shetland Name:||Brother Isle|
|UK Grid Reference:||HU425814|
|Area (ha):||40 ha|
|Population:||none. Last inhabited 1820's|
Brother Isle (from the Old Norse Breidare ey meaning broad beach island) is a small, uninhabited island in Shetland. It lies between the islands of Yell and Shetland Mainland. At only 40ha in size with a maximum height of 25m, and surrounded by tidal rips which make landing difficult, it would seem unlikely that the island has ever been inhabited. However, Brother Isle was inhabited until the 1820s, latterly by brothers with the surname Tulloch. This led to the mistaken assumption that the island's name referred to them.
Brother Isle Lighthouse was established in the island in 2004.