Burrastow House Guest House
|Business Contact Details|
|Address:||Burrastow, Walls. ZE2 9PD|
<keywords content="shetland directory, shetland businesses, shetland, shetlopedia, shetland isles" />
Burrastow House Guest House is located at Burrastow on the southwest corner of the West Mainland, near Walls, looking over to the island of Vaila.
Burrastow has been a guest house from 1980 with a double and family room both en-suite. Harry and Stella Tuckey converted the house and ran it for 8 years or so until they decided to retire. Burrastow House was sold to Ann Prior and Bo Simmons in 1988.
Increasing demand persuaded them to add a further 3 en-suite bedrooms, more dining capacity and facilities for workshops and conferences. The extension was completed in 1995. Burrastow House can sleep a maximum of 12 and sit 20 people for dinner.
History of the house
Burrastow House was built in 1759 as a seat for the Henry Family.
The original house as we can see on the oldest picture, was a two storey haa, raised on a basement. The porch was reached by a fore-stair.
In the early 20th century it was bought by Col Foster, a Yorkshire mill owner, who used it as a summerhouse. He made an extension on the back of the house, installed larger windows and also windows on the gables. Some years later, the back extension got a second storey.
All old pictures are from Shetland Museum and Archives.