Commercial Street, referred to as "Da Street" is the main street in Lerwick.
Da Street was named in 1845 by "The Commissioners of Police" as part of their exercise to officially name and number all of the streets, lanes and houses in the Burgh of Lerwick, before that it was just called "Da Shore", as it was just a stony path running along the beach.
In addition to being named Commercial Street all buildings were numbered south to north, odd numbers on the landward side, and even numbers on the seaward side. Various construction projects since 1845 have resulted in a portion of the original street numbers becoming "lost" through demolitions and rebuilds combining two or more adjacent numbers, etc.
From the North end where it meets Commercial Road, at the south end of the Fort car park below Fort Charlotte, to the South end where it meets Twageos Road, Da Street is the hub of all activity in Lerwick
At the south end of Commercial Street, the Lodberries, (Old Norse: Hlad Berg = Loading Rocks), are 18th century houses with their foundations in the sea, and areas for pulling up boats.
To see Commercial Street on Google Street View, Click Here.
Da Street from South to North
Commercial Street Shops, Businesses and Organisations
The Market Cross - "Da Cross"
Perhaps the most famous gathering point in Lerwick. On New Years Eve hundreds of revellers from all over Shetland gather at "Da Cross", as it is commonly known, to bring in the New Year.
Da Cross is also the centre of attention at Lerwick Up Helly-Aa when the bill is displayed.
Commercial Street is joined on both sides by a number of small lanes and courts. In places they are just a few feet wide. The lanes and courts have undergone a lot of refurbishment over recent years.