Fair Isle North Lighthouse
Basic Information :
|Name||Fair Isle North Lighthouse|
|Position||Latitude 59° 33.2’N
Longitude 01° 36.5’W
|Location||Skroo, at the north tip of Fair Isle|
|Description||White conical tower, 47 foot high, with 37 steps to the top|
|Built by||David A. & Charles Stevenson|
|First lit||November 1st 1892|
|Character||Flashing (2) White every 30 seconds|
|Nominal Range||22 miles|
|Other information||Foghorn discontinued October 3rd 2001|
During WWII, the lighthouse was seriously attacked twice. The first attack took place on March 28th 1941 when the dwelling houses were machine gunned and 2 bombs were dropped 60 yards from the lighthouse. The second attack happened on April 18th 1941. This time a single German plane machine-gunned and bombed the houses. One bomb was a direct hit and caused great damage to the buildings, but no personnel were hurt in either of the attacks.
On January 21th 1942, Assistant Lightkeeper Roderick Macaulay, walked three miles through snowdrifts and storm to help restore the Fair Isle South Lighthouse, which had been badly damaged in an air-raid. After the light was restored, he walked back in the dark to the North Lighthouse to continue his duties there. For this deed he received a BEM for outstanding services.