Fair Isle South Lighthouse
Basic Information :
|Name||Fair Isle South Lighthouse|
|Position||Latitude 59° 30.9’N
Longitude 01° 39.0’W
|Location||Skadan, south point of Fair Isle|
|Description||A white conical tower, 85 foot high with 96 steps to the top|
|Built by||David A. & Charles Stevenson|
|Character||Flashing (4)White every 30 seconds|
|Nominal Range||22 miles|
|Automated||March 31st 1998|
|Other information||This was the last manned lighthouse in Shetland.
Foghorn was discontinued on June 17th 2005.
During an air attack on the 8th of December 1941, Mrs. Catherine Sutherland, wife of the Assistant Lightkeepeer was killed and their infant daughter slightly hurt.
On January 21th 1942, the wife of Principal Lightkeeper Smith, Margaret, and their daughter Margaret (Greta), age 10, were killed when the main dwelling block got a direct hit from a bomb. Gunner William G Morris was also killed in the same attack.
A memorial plaque over those dead at war was erected by the Northern Lighthouse Board and Scotland's Lighthouse Museum in March 1998.