|UK Grid Reference:||HU442738|
|Distance from Lerwick by road:||27 miles|
|Google Street View:||Street View|
The name Firth originally referred to a croft on the south side of Firths Voe near Mossbank in the North Mainland approximately 27 miles from Lerwick. 6 men from there were among the boats crews lost in the Delting Disaster of 1900.
When the oil boom came to Shetland in the 70's a large camp to cope with the needs of the workers was set up on the west side of the voe, and the housing estates of Sandside, Leaside and Midlea were built. Some of these houses have now been demolished, this option being more economical than maintaining them.
The 2 pipelines which bring oil ashore from the North Sea basin, pass through Firth, one through the centre of the voe, and the other over the hill from its landfall at Swinister Voe.