|UK Grid Reference:||HU282771|
|Distance from Lerwick by road:||35 miles|
|Google Street View:|
During the days of the Haaf Fishing Hillswick was developed into a fishing station by Thomas Gifford, the Laird of Busta. The village continued to play a role in the fishing industry well into the 20th century, and was often used as a safe haven by trawlers from all over Scotland.
The Booth, which was later to become Shetland's oldest pub, was built in the 17th century as a trading booth. Its first keeper was Adolf Westermann from Hamburg. The Booth is now a café, adjacent to which is a seal sanctuary which rescues and cares for injured seals and orphaned seal pups. During the Braer oil spill in 1993 the sanctuary cared for many oiled seals.
Another notable building, which overshadows the village is the St. Magnus Bay Hotel. This white timber building was built by the North of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland Steam Navigation Company, better known as the North Company, in 1900, when, before proper roads had been built, the west side of Shetland was served by steamers on the Westside route from Scrabster, Stromness, and Scalloway.