Islesburgh Community Centre
The Islesburgh Community Centre is a large Youth Club & Activity Centre on King Harald Street. Islesburgh, as it is commonly known, was previously the "Lerwick Central Public School", and the doors on the right and left hand side of the front face of the building still say 'Boys' and 'Girls'.
Islesburgh is used to host a wide variety of events such at the Shetland Folk Festival and it is used for a hall in Up Helly-Aa.
The school was built in 1902 by John M. Aitken.
It was officially opened on 27 Sep. 1902, by Sir Henry Craik.
At that time there were both primary and secondary departments. Under the educational system then in force, after age 11, pupils were streamed either to the Anderson Educational Institute, now Anderson High School or remained at The Central until school leaving age was reached.
After extensions were built at the Anderson High School and it became a 6 year comprehensive school, this building was converted to community use.