Lerwick Fish Market
Today's Lerwick Fish Market is located on Laurenson Quay at the north end of the Esplanade in Lerwick Harbour.
After it's first location at Freefield, it has up through the years had several locations along the Esplanade area.
Lerwick's first Fish Market was established at Freefield in 1901.
In 1904 work began on a new wharf, which later was named "Alexandra Wharf". It became the location for a temporary Fish Market, which was officially opened on June 5th 1906 by Captain Johnson.
The new permanent Fish Market, built of red bricks with white dressings, opened in July 1907.
In 1959, work started on the new covered Fish Market.
The Fish Market of 1907 was demolished, because the ground under it was unstable, and a Fish Market was established south of today's Albert Building.
The new Fish Market's northern part, at today's location on Laurenson Quay, was finished in 1975.
A two storey extension to the south which increased the market's total capacity to 1000 boxes was built in 1993, chilling was also installed in the entire market at this time, and a further single story extension was added, again to the south, in January 2009, increasing capacity further to 1250 boxes.