Out Skerries Lighthouse
The Northern Lighthouse Board wanted to build the lighthouse on nearby Grunay, but the Board of Trade and Trinity House overruled them, and it was built at a cost of £21,000, 90% higher than the estimate of Thomas and David Stevenson.
Alan Brebner was the resident engineer for construction.
Basic Information :
|Name||Out Skerries Lighthouse|
|Position||Latitude 60° 25.5’N
Longitude 00° 43.5’W
|Location||On the island Bound Skerry, Out Skerries|
|Description||The permanent tower, a white conical brick tower, 98 foot high|
|Built by||Thomas & David Stevenson|
|Character||Flashing White/Red every 20 seconds|
|Nominal Range||20 miles|
|Automated||April 7th 1972|
|Other information||A temporary light was estabished on the island Gruney on September 15 1854|
During WWII, the Lighthouse buildings and the shore station on Grunay were machine-gunned on February 22nd 1941 but fortunately no one was hurt. On January 18th. 1942, the lighthouse's shore station were bombed, and a bomb directly hit the boatman's house. The boatman's mother, Mary Ann Anderson, was buried in the debris and died two days later in Lerwick.