The surname Solotti (Italian) was present in Lerwick from 1846 (Peter Solotti) until the death of Margaret Solotti (Thomason) in 1960. The males were listed variously as Farmer, Cooper, Confectioner. The Solottis had originally come to Shetland during the herring boom, and were first based for a time in Baltasound before moving to Lerwick.
The last proprietor bearing the business name was Alec Solotti who retired in 1950. His successors, and the last proprietors before the name change were Walter Robertson, originally from Whalsay, and his wife Molly. Molly had started work for Alec Solotti in the business in February 1941 and Walter started in 1943, shortly before their marriage. Upon Alex Solotti's retirement the Robertsons purchased a one quarter share in the business, which they gradually increased as the years passed. The Robertson's retired and put the business on the market in the spring of 1985, after which sale it was renamed Faerdie Maet.
During the period of the Robertson's ownership two of the three outside doors of the building were blocked off allowing their business to be all "under one roof". Previously the cafe had been in the south end of the building, and the shop in the north, each accessed by their own external door. The central door which divided them giving access to the upstairs part of the building, and in use immediately prior to 1948 as the Reading Room of the Library operated by the Shetland Literary and Scientific Society.