Sumburgh Airport

Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Airport.jpg


Sumburgh Airport 1 July 2008.jpg
Sumburgh Airport Terminal Building
Control tower with the lighthouse in background
Picture by Sasha22.
Runway 15-33.
To see videos from the flight decks of aircraft landing on 33, click here.

Sumburgh Airport is the main airport serving the Shetland Islands. It is located on the southern tip of the Shetland Mainland, nearly 40 kilometres south of Lerwick. The airport is operated by Highlands & Islands Airports Limited, HIAL.
On 1 April 1995, ownership of the Company transferred from the UK Civil Aviation Authority to the Secretary of State for Scotland and subsequently to the Scottish Ministers.
HIAL receives subsidies from the Scottish Ministers in accordance with Section 34 of the Civil Aviation Act 1982 and is sponsored by the Scottish Executive Enterprise, Transport and Lifelong Learning Department’s Transport Group. Annual Reports and Accounts are submitted to the Scottish Ministers.
The airport is served by Loganair, (currently under franchise to British Airways until 26th October 2008 when Flybe take over the Codeshare agreement), Highland Airways, and Atlantic Airways.
There are direct flights from Sumburgh Airport to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Kirkwall and London Stansted.
A new twice weekly service, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to Bergen in Norway, was introduced for the summer of 2008. This service proved very popular and will be increased to 3 flights per week for the summer of 2009 with the addition of a Thursday flight.

Contents

Airlines

History

First day cover celebrating start of Air Mail service.
Sumburgh Links before the runways were constructed. With Sumburgh Hotel and Sumburgh Farm house in foreground.
Photo from Shetland Museum and Archives.
DeHavilland 'Rapide'of Allied Airways (Gander Dower) c. 1946, Jamie Leask checking the oil level. The young passengers are Shetlopedia's eminent photographer "Heimdal" and his big sister
Junker 52, 1946/47
Junkers 52 at Sumburgh
Douglas DC3 of BEA c. 1950
Wreckage of G-BEKF, at the east end of runway 09.

From the landing of the first aircraft at Sumburgh Links, on 18th April 1933, it was to be another 3 years before a regular scheduled service to Shetland started.
The first scheduled flight to land at Sumburgh, on 2nd June 1936, was a De-Haviland DH89 Dragon Rapide, G-ADDE, belonging to Aberdeen Airways, and piloted by Captain Eric Starling. This flight was followed next day, 3rd June, with the first flight by Highland Airways, also a Dragon Rapide. These flights heralded the start of scheduled aviation in Shetland and brought the added benefit of newspapers and mail reaching Shetland much quicker. The first scheduled airmail service, 3 times a week, being started by Allied Airways, on 23rd November 1937.

The outbreak of WWII saw the airstrip at the Sumburgh Links taken over by the Air Ministry and major works were undertaken to construct runways and associated infrastructure. By 1941 there were 3 operational runways at Sumburgh Aerodrome from which a variety of RAF aircraft, including; Mosquitos, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Swordfish, and Beauforts, flew missions, including the succesful bombing by Mosquitos of the Gestapo headquarters in Oslo.
During the war years scheduled services were continued by Allied Airways, and Scottish Airways.

Following the war, in 1946, BEA (British European Airways) started a scheduled service. Initially the service was operated with Junkers 52s and then Douglas DC3 Dakotas.

During the mid 1960's the main runway, 15/33, was lengthened sufficiently to allow the Dakota to be replaced by the 4 engined Vickers Viscount, an extremely popular and comfortable aircraft, which was the first pressurised aircraft to be used on the service. This in return was replaced in the early 1980s by the very popular twin engined HS748, affectionately referred to as the 'Budgie', although the Viscounts, and indeed the Dakotas, continued to be used for many years by charter flight operators involved in the transfer of workers to offshore oil installations through Sumburgh.

The rapid expansion of oil related traffic through Sumburgh Airport in the late 1970s saw the airport become the fastest growing in the UK, with a peak of 285,000 passengers on 51,000 aircraft movements, in 1978. These figures included construction workers for the Sullom Voe Oil Terminal, but their flights went with the re-opening of Scatsta Airport in August 1978.

The old terminal building facility, at the 'Virkie Terminal', was operating well beyond capacity, so a new terminal building, for the offshore oil related traffic, and taxiways were constructed at 'Wilsness', on the east side of the airport, along with a dedicated helicopter runway, 06/24. The new building was officially opened by HRH Princess Alexandra in September 1979.
1979 was also a year which saw the worst accident, at the airport, when on 31st July Dan Air HS748 G-BEKF crashed during take off at the east end of runway 09, with the loss of 17 lives.

Scheduled air services continued to operate from the Virkie terminal until November 1982, when all passenger movements were moved to the Wilsness terminal.
Passenger and flight movements through the airport dropped significantly during the early 1980s, mainly due to the introduction of helicopters, such as the Puma and the Chinook, which could fly direct from Aberdeen to the oilfields. By 1985 there were only 239,000 passengers carried on 17,000 aircraft movements.

First Day Cover - 1986

The 3rd of April 1985 saw the arrival at Sumburgh of what was to become Shetland's best known aircraft. Bristow Helicopters Sikorsky S61N, G-BDOC, affectionately known as "Oscar Charlie, took up her role as Coastguard Search and Rescue helicopter.

Although the Dan Air crash of 1979 was the worst crash, actually at the airport, a much worse accident happened nearby on 6th November 1986 when a Boeing 234LR Chinook helicopter, G-BWFC, operated by British International Helicopters, crashed 2.5 miles north east of the airport. The aircraft, which had been based at Sumburgh for only a few days, was on approach to the airport, from the Brent C platform, when a catastrophic failure of the forward transmission caused the twin rotors to impact with each other. Of the 44 passengers and 3 crew on board, only two passengers survived.

Extension to runway 09/27.

In 2005 runway 09/27 was extended to a length of 1100m to allow larger aircraft to use the airport. The main part of the extension was to the east end of the runway, Large stones for armouring were imported by barge from Norway, and a large portion of the Wilsness hill, to the north of the terminal building, was quarried to provide rock infill. This also had the added advantage of clearing space next to the terminal for a large car park.


Other Pictures

Lax security and shaky steps
Skyways DC3 G-AMWW, late 70's
VFW614, 1978
Dan-Air Viscount, 1978
Nor-fly Convair, late 70's
British Air Ferries Handley Page HPR-7 Herald 100, 1978
Flypast at open day 1979 or 1980
North Scottish Helicopters G-BHAH, 1980
BEAS Bell212, 1978
S61-N Helicopter G-BHOG leaving the "taxi rank" Lerwick.
PBY Catalina Flying Boat at Sumburgh enroute to Africa
PBY and crew on the ramp at Sumburgh.
R.A.F. Shackleton
An American aircraft carrier based Gruman Hawkeye E2(Airborne Early Warning) about to enter R/W 15/33 in the NATO Exercise "Northern Wedding" in 1978
NATO carrier'borne aircraft. A Sea Knight helicopter and a Grumman Tracker in the old custom's area next to Bristow's hanger during the exercise "Northern Wedding" in 1978
Russian Visitor
Russian Yak 40 on a promotional tour, touched down at Sumburgh in the early 1970's.
A.F.S. appliances
Ex Danish Airforce Douglas C-47 K-685 night stop at Sumburgh enroute to a museum in the USA.
Ex Danish Airforce C-47 K-685 cockpit
DeHavilland Dragon Rapide in the foreground at the Sumburgh air show 1986.
Vickers Viscount V806 G-APEY in Virgin livery on lease from British Air Ferries on runway 15/33 c1988. For almost six years until 1988 this aicraft, named "Viscount Shetland" owned by BAF, was a regular visitor to Sumburgh on oil charter. Built for B.E.A.in 1958 G-APEY was the last airworthy Viscount to fly in the U.K.
Another Russian visitor. An Antonov AN2 on the ramp at Wilsness.
A Beech 18 landing for a refuel stop at Sumburgh, en route to the Oshkosh airshow 1991.
Boeing Vertol 234LR Chinook.
This type of helicopter had a short life as offshore crew transport because the offshore workers, and indeed the oil companies, lost faith in it following the crash off Sumburgh in 1986.

External links

Wreck 1.JPG


Videos

  • Landings on runway 33

{{#ev:youtube|9ZM2DmSTRGo}} {{#ev:youtube|lz5_7gXkqgs}}

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Other Useful Pages
Tools
Shetlopedia Projects
Toolbox