Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
Revision as of 10:12, 23 January 2012 by Pett
- Happyhansel School, Shetland's first school, was founded.
- George Douglas, 13th Earl of Morton, became MP for Orkney and Shetland.
- The Love, a vessel registered in Lerwick is recorded as having wrecked at an unidentified location in the vicinity of Shetland.
- The Dutch Ost India ship Rijnenburg, a flute, (618 ton), built in 1704, was wrecked on a reef in Shetland.
- The Stadt Drontheim, laden with a mixed cargo of copper, fish and pewter plates, of The Netherlands, from Trondheim, Norway and for Amsterdam, The Netherlands wrecked at "Noss" on or before this date. Thought most likely to have been the Isle of Noss.