Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia
Revision as of 02:25, 4 November 2010 by JAStewart
- Lerwick became a Burgh of Barony.
- After hints of its existence in 1817, an extensive cod bank was discovered twenty-five to thirty miles west of Foula. Dr. Samuel Hibbert announced the finding in an article entitled "Account of the Discovery of the Shetland Cod-Bank in the Summer of 1818" printed in the Edinburgh Philosophical Journal in 1820.
- Laurenson & Co. established in Lerwick.
First ever election of the Lerwick Town Council, a political body representing Lerwick from 1818 until 1975.
"Cumberland Pacquet" wrote :
“Zetland Road Act.
We understand that additional extensive tracts of roads are about to be surveyed in Argyllshire and we also learn with satisfaction that the same spirit has extended to landholders in the Ultima Thule and that a road act is now contemplated for the Shetland Isles. Here will be much scope for the ingenuity of the engineer for, in so far as roads are concerned, this is entirely a new country.”
George Heneage Laurence Dundas elected as MP for Orkney & Shetland.
The Nika, a full rigged ship, laden with timber, of and from Memel, Prussia (now Klaipėda, Lithuania), for Cork or Dublin, Ireland wrecked on the SW tip of the Ness of Cumliewick, Sandwick. The ship's caprenter and one crewman were saved, the remaining thirteen were lost.
Malcolm Laing, MP for Orkney and Shetland, died.