Dalsetter Tin Kirk
This old rusty shed at Dalsetter, at the head of Basta Voe in Yell has earlier been a kirk, commonly known as "Da Tin Kirk".
In 1929 the United Free Church became united with the Church of Scotland, however a minority of the congregation of the former United Free Sellafirth Kirk objected strongly enough to this union that they left the now Church of Scotland Sellafirth Kirk and built the ‘Tin Kirk’ at the head of Basta Voe in about 1932, so that they could continue to worship as a United Free congregation. As a result the West Yell minister served the ‘Tin Kirk’, and Mr Robert Waugh who came to West Yell as lay missionary in October 1931 and was ordained on 14th January 1932 was the first to do so. The Home Area Committee reported that a motor cycle and side-car had been purchased for his use. Mr Waugh was a young married man, and stayed for about two years before being moved to Sandwick U.F. Church.
|Shetlopedia.com - The Shetland Encyclopedia
This entry is just a placeholder. You can help Shetlopedia.com by expanding it