John Robertson Campbell Hamilton
J.R.C. Hamilton, archaeologist, was born in Lancashire in 1917. He was educated at Bolton Grammar School and the universities of Cambridge and Uppsala. He served at the Foreign Office during the Second World War, and was press attache at Helsinki in 1945. In 1948 he joined the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments in Edinburgh, and in 1954 moved to the Inspectorate in London, where he was responsible for rescue excavation and publication. His most important archaeological work was his excavation at Jarlshof, in the 1950s, and at Clickhimin broch in the 1960s, both in Shetland, which resulted in important volumes published in 1956 and 1968. Hamilton died in March 1985.