|UK Grid Reference:||HU450752|
|Distance from Lerwick by road:||29 miles|
|Google Street View:|
During the 1970's, with the construction of the near-by Sullom Voe Oil Terminal, Mossbank and the Firth area, encountered a major growth. There was a massive increase in the number of houses within the area. From just a few, near isolated homes, to a district which was updated with accommodation blocks. These housing blocks consisted of the standard council houses, which can be recognised throughout Shetland, and of hotel type buildings. The Fraser Peterson Centre, commonly referred to as the FPC/FP was used to provide entertainment to workers and inhabitants in the area. The Toft Camps, were also constructed during the Shetland Oil Boom. These provided many islanders with jobs, where they received a steady income. The Camps could cater for vast numbers of people. They both contained drinking areas and one of them, a cinema. This provided an additional form of entertainment.
This change brought about a stupendous increase in the number of inhabitants. The 1971 census recorded that 130 lived in the area of Mossbank and Firth. By 1981 this had risen to 1000.
Mossbank has a public house, post office, primary school, public hall, a kirk and a shop.
The most notable building in the village is the 18th century Mossbank Haa, another notable building is Erlangen House, built in the late 19th century for the Pole family.
On the 21st December 1900 four boats and 22 men from the area were lost in a fishing tragedy which became known as the Delting Disaster.