Reform Lane was another of Lerwick's lanes which was re-named by the Naming Committee set up by the Police Commisioners in 1845.
The new name referred to the Reform Act of 1832, while the older name was 'Gilbert Tait's Closs', so named as it was on the north side of foot of this lane that Gilbert Tait, a general merchant and herring curer had his premises. He had a pier and lodberry roughly on the site of where The Hansel and the Oxfam Shop is now. Tait was himself a member of the naming committee.
Reform Lane's east end starts at Harrison Square, beside Karibuni, enters Commercial Street between 78 Commercial Street, (the north end of Conochies), and The Hansel at 80 Commercial Street.
Reform Lane continues on the landward side of Commercial Street from between 127 Commercial Street, (north end of British Red Cross), and North Rock Gallery at 133 Commercial Street up to the Hillhead.
The buildings on Commercial Street to the south of the lane were rebuilt when the Roost was demolished.
A little way uphill on the upper section of Reform Lane was a short entry on the south side named 'Mariner's Court', so named after the number of seamen living in the area at the time, which vanished as part of the rebuilding works.
Pictures from the past